Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Night and Day


My husband and I are currently working odd shifts, and let me tell you it is not fun. The up side is that it is temporary, but that is pretty small comfort in the every day moments. He works 'swings' which means he works from 2PM until 11 PM five days a week. I work 'mids' which is 9PM to 7AM four days a week. I get Saturday, Sunday, and Monday off, with the cavet being that on Saturday I'd really like to sleep until about 5 PM before getting up.

When I first started working this shift, I did everything I could to stay on schedule during my weekends, but it's hard sleeping when Aaron is at home eating, playing computer games, or watching TV, which is what he tends to do in the mornings before going to work. Now, I find myself staying up during the day on weekends and then trying to take a quick nap from 2PM until 6PM on my first day back to work. Yikes! I'm not really sure what else to do. I've talked to other people on my shift and it seems like being up all day on your days off is pretty much a standard practice. And especially now with holidays coming up I really need to be awake during the day - not all chrimstas shopping can be done on-line!

Jeanne, I don't think you are going to like the answer to my question.

Lyndsay, I know you and Aaron are on opposite shifts right now, do you find it difficult to make meals? Dan's usually working when I'm ready for dinner, so either it's a "fend for yourself" dinner night or I'll make dinner and put his half straight in the fridge for later (separated from my work lunch portion of course). Usually by the time I get to dinner, I don't feel like actually making anything and throw a frozen meal in the microwave or toaster oven.

The short answer is "yes, but then again, not really."
It's difficult to plan meals, but I've also completely stopped making meals for Aaron during the work week.

That's because left to his own devices Aaron prefers to simply not eat more than one meal a day. He also develops strange amnesia like symptoms about leftovers. Even if I cook something SPECIFICALLY to eat on a later date, once it gets put in the fridge it gains 'leftover status' and he forgets that it's there.

When we worked the same hours, I would cook dinner when I got hungry and 80% of the time he would also eat it. I'd also prepare meals to take to lunch and pack his lunches along with mine. However, those lunches sometimes went uneaten. When I switched to working nights I tried to continue to make meals in advance for both of us.... But if I was alseep when he left for work he simply would not remember to take his with him. Now I save myself the trouble and don't bother.

I still make meals for us both on weekends, and I usually try to make extra to last me at least one day at work.  I usually eat 'breakfast' at around 8 AM before collapsing into bed. I try to wake up an hour or two before I have to go to work - enough time to make rice and something simple to go with it. I'll either bake chicken in the oven, scramble an egg, or fry up some vegitables in the frying pan (zucinni in olive oil is my favorite. ) I'll eat some then and then take the rest to eat at work for 'dinner'. I've tried to do frozen meals but haven't had much success with them.

I've also got into the habbit of buying snack veggies to take to work. My favorites are;

1.) grapes, I rense them in vinegar to get all that icky white film off
2.) Cuccumbers. Sliced. I bring salt and pepper to sprinkle on them.
3.) Clementines. Although this time of year you've got to be careful, even if they look OK they might still taste icky.
4. ) peanut butter to dip pretty much anything in.

P.S
I looks like I had written a post about halloween......And it sat as a draft and never got posted? I've posted it, now. It's back dated.

No comments:

Post a Comment