Wednesday, November 20, 2013

New hair person

I've never been one for having my hair cut regularly. As a kid, it was just so awkward for me--an introvert--to navigate. Do I talk to the person? What if I run out of things to say? What if they don't talk back? What if they need to concentrate? It also didn't help that the place my mom took us to get our hair cut was a beauty school, which meant new people every time we went. It didn't matter if there was someone I actually liked from the previous trip (though there never was) because by the time we went again, they had finished raining and moved on.

After college, my friend found a girl up by her (north of Baltimore, so at least a 45-minute drive for me) who we both adored. She was an easygoing extrovert who we loved chatting with and had no qualms about keeping the conversation going through two hair cuts (both me and my friend, we'd make it a girls day out). The downside was that she was only cutting hair to pay her way through dental hygiene school, which is great that she could do it that way, but left me searching for a new person after she moved on.

Since then, I've just been waiting as long as I could hold out and then sucking it up and going to Hair Cuttery for the sake of convenience. I found one girl there that I liked, but I have no idea if she's still there, she gave me her card to book appointments with her but I do still hate using the phone to call people (especially if I've never called them before) so that did not happen. Now, I'm pretty happy because one of the girls I know at work is a licensed cosmetologist and does all her family and friends' hair and she lives near me! We were chatting one day and I made a comment about not having anybody anymore and she was like "Heck I'll do it!" So I'm going to talk to her this week about setting up a time. She'll even come to my house and do it, that does not get any easier folks! She also has a 5 month old baby, I told her he was most welcome to come if she came to me lol, I love babies. She does kids hair too, which means I'll be asking her to do Joey's while she's here; he's getting shaggy and it's too cold for me to buzz him this late in the year.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so there with you! Having some random stranger you've never met touch your hair... shudder. Never liked it. And I have the memory of a goldfish, so I always had trouble remembering where I went or the name of the girl I saw. They'd give me cards and I'd always lose them. Now I just cut my own hair, way less stressful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had issues with a random person cutting my hair, my concerns are with the random people who DON'T cut it the way I ask them too UGH So yeah I haven't gotten my hair trimmed or cut in months and months.

    ReplyDelete